What is BOTOX and Dysport?
BOTOX and Dysport are injectable treatments for dynamic wrinkles and lines caused by the contracting of muscles in your face. The active ingredients temporarily paralyze these muscles.
Once the muscles relax, the lines and wrinkles smooth and flatten, becoming almost unnoticeable. BOTOX and Dysport treatment take less than 30 minutes to complete and when performed by one of our Advanced Injectors the procedure is simple, virtually painless, and the results are natural, resulting in a more youthful appearance. Deep lines and wrinkles may take multiple treatments to smooth and flatten. Research suggest, patients who have regular BOTOX or Dysport treatments, often find that dynamic wrinkles are slower to return, allowing longer intervals between BOTOX or Dysport treatments as muscles become trained to relax over time.
What areas can be treated with BOTOX and Dysport?
- Eyebrow lift
- Crow’s Feet
- Under Eyelids
- Neck (Platysmal band)
- Glabella (above the nose, between the eyebrow)
- Jaw (for clenching teeth)
- Under corners of nose to soften “gummy smile”
- Corners of mouth (to help correct a downward frown)
What is the Difference Between BOTOX and Dysport?
BOTOX and Dysport are both botulinum toxin type A proteins and behave very similarly, however the actual differences are still being studied. Below are some differences that are known.
- BOTOX and Dysport are dosed differently.
- Dysport results may appear several days earlier than Botox Cosmetic results.
- Dysport tends to diffuse or spread over a wider area than Botox Cosmetic.
- Most patients experience the results of both Dysport and BOTOX for 3-4 months; however, some experience results for up to 6 months.
How quickly will I see results?
Both Dysport and BOTOX are absorbed by nerve endings near the treated areas soon after injection. Most people begin to see the effects of Dysport 2-3 days after injections, which is slightly faster onset of action than BOTOX which is typically 3-4 days after injection. For both Dysport and BOTOX, effects reach full result in 2-3 weeks.
How Much Does A Consultation Cost?
Whether it’s your first-time considering aesthetics procedures, or you are a new patient to our office, we offer complementary consultations. During your consultation you will meet with an Advanced Injector to discuss your Aesthetic concerns, be assessed, ask questions and given possible treatment options. Depending on your concerns and areas of treatment your provider will recommend which product is best for you. Many patients choose same day treatment, and some schedule treatment for a later date. Consultation appointments last about 30 minutes.
Are there other uses for BOTOX?
- To relax twitching eyelids/facial muscles. BOTOX Therapeutic has been shown to treat blepharospasm (i.e. involuntary closing of the eyelids, uncontrolled blinking of the eye and twitching in the face muscles) If you are suffering from this condition, we recommend that you request an appointment with our Ophthalmologist at Advanced Eye Care or call 410-569-7173 to determine the best course of treatment for you. This may be considered a medical condition and, in many cases, covered by your insurance.
- To relieve Migraines. Knowledge is power in the fight against chronic migraine and over 3 million BOTOX Therapeutic treatments have been used to treat people with Chronic Migraine since the FDA approval in 2010. This is considered a medical condition and, in many cases, covered by insurance. We recommend making an appointment with our Ophthalmologist at Advanced Eye Care or call 410-569-7173 to determine the best course of treatment for you.
Who is a Good Candidate for BOTOX or Dysport?
The best candidates for BOTOX and Dysport treatments are physically healthy, with no history of neuromuscular diseases (such as Multiple sclerosis or myasthenia gravis), who are not pregnant or nursing and who are at least 18 years old.
You may want to consider BOTOX or Dysport injections if you have unwanted facial wrinkles.
There isn’t a universal “right age” to start treatment with BOTOX or Dysport. Everyone’s skin is different, depending on factors such as genetics, sun exposure, lifestyle habits and skin color. The best age for you is when you start to notice and feel bothered by visible wrinkles.
What to Expect Before, During, and After Procedures?
Before your first appointment it is important to refrain from drinking alcohol, taking aspirin, or using anti-inflammatory medications for a couple of weeks leading up to your first appointment. At the beginning of your appointment your provider will ensure that you are comfortable and answer any questions you have about the procedure. Once you are ready, your provider will make several small injections into the target areas. Many people worry that the injection will be painful but, by in large, our patients describe it as a small pinching sensation. After your appointment, you should hold off from lying down for three or four hours and avoid engaging in any vigorous activity for 24 hours after the injections. It is also important not to rub or put pressure on the inject areas, such as wearing a hat or headband for 24 hours.
Are There Any Risks or Side Effects?
There are risks for minor side effects. Some of the most common include: minor pain at the site of injection, redness, swelling around the eyelids, rash, irritation, and bruising at the injection site, and headaches. Such side effects should resolve after a few days. More serious side effects may include nausea, sinusitis, and upper respiratory infection.
While it is very rare, there is slight risk for botulinum toxicity. Signs of botulinum toxicity include: droopy eyelids, facial muscle weakness, muscle spasms, difficulty swallowing and eating, breathing difficulties, and difficulty with speech. Seek emergency medical treatment if you suspect botulinum toxicity from treatment.